Baked Whole Chicken
baked whole chicken, are you looking for these recipes? check this for the best baked whole chicken:
Thai chicken and rice tray bake
- 6 large chicken thigh cutlets, skin on, trimmed
- 1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 lime, cut into 1cm slices
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups white long-grain rice, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 200g green beans, trimmed, cut into 4cm pieces
- 125g baby corn, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced diagonally
- Sliced long red chilli, to serve
- Chopped roasted peanuts, to serve
- Fresh mint leaves, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Place chicken and curry paste in a bowl. Rub paste all over chicken.
- Step 2Heat half the oil in a heavy-based flameproof roasting pan over medium-high heat. Cook lime for 1 minute each side or until charred. Transfer to a plate. Add chicken to pan, skin-side down. Cook for 3 minutes each side or until well browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 3Wipe pan clean. Heat remaining oil in pan over medium heat. Add brown onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and carrot. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add rice. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until rice is coated in mixture. Add stock. Bring to the boil.
- Step 4Place chicken on top of rice mixture. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Move chicken to one side. Fluff rice with a fork. Add beans, corn, lime slices, fish sauce and lime juice to rice. Stir to combine. Arrange chicken over rice. Bake, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is browned and cooked through. Top with green onion, chilli, peanuts and mint. Serve.
Cheesy chicken and pasta bake with avocado salsa
- 250g pkt Barilla Red Lentil Penne
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 green capsicum, deseeded, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chipotle in adobo sauce
- 500g chicken mince
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 250ml (1 cup) passata
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 200g (2 1/2 cups) coarsely grated cheddar
- Sour cream, to serve (optional)
- 1 avocado, coarsely chopped
- 2 large radishes, quartered
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 green shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Step 1Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add onion and capsicum. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add cumin and chipotle. Stir to coat.
- Step 3Add chicken. Cook, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add tomatoes, passata, oregano and 250ml (1 cup) water. Season, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid has reduced slightly. Stir in pasta and 80g (1 cup) cheddar.
- Step 4Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Grease a 20 x 28cm baking dish. Add mixture. Press down. Top with remaining cheddar. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Step 5Meanwhile, to make salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Step 6Top pasta bake with salsa and sour cream, if using. Season.
French roast chicken with whole garlic
- 1 large lemon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1.7kg free-range whole chicken, cleaned, rinsed, patted dry
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 bulbs garlic
- Potato mash, to serve
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 190°C. Cut lemon in half. Juice 1 half.
- Step 2Combine 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons oil, crushed garlic and salt. Season with pepper. Rub baste over inside and outside of chicken. Place remaining lemon half and thyme in chicken cavity. Tie legs together with unwaxed string.
- Step 3Place chicken, breast side down, on a rack in a large roasting pan. Roast for 15 minutes. Cut tops off garlic bulbs to expose tops of cloves. Drizzle garlic with remaining oil.
- Step 4Turn chicken over and place garlic, cut side up, around chicken on rack. Roast for a further 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear. Serve chicken with roasted garlic, mash and beans.
Whole sticky glazed chicken
- 2kg whole chicken
- 1 lemon, roughly chopped
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- Step 1Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel. Place lemon inside cavity. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Place chicken in a glass or ceramic dish.
- Step 2Combine ginger, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, five spice and rice wine in a jug. Pour half the sauce mixture over chicken.
- Step 3Turn chicken to coat. Cover, refrigerate for 30 minutes, if time permits.
- Step 4Preheat oven to 190C/170C fan-forced. Place chicken, breast-side up, on a wire rack in a baking dish. Roast for 1 1/2 hours, basting with reserved marinade every 15 minutes, or until browned and juices run clear when thigh is pierced with
- Step 5a skewer. Serve.
Whole chicken roasted in a salt crust
- 4 1/2 cups (675g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (160g) cooking salt
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked.
- 1 (about 1.8kg) whole fresh chicken
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 40g butter
- 4 garlic cloves, bruised, thinly sliced
- Steamed baby carrots, to serve
- Steamed snow peas, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the flour, salt, thyme in a bowl. Add the water and egg and stir until well combined. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Shape into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Step 2Rinse chicken cavity under cold water. Pat dry inside and out with paper towel. Place in a small roasting pan. Place the bay leaves, rosemary, half the lemon slices and half the thyme sprigs in the chicken cavity. Lift the skin under the breast. Place the garlic, butter, remaining lemon slices and remaining thyme under the skin. Loosely tie the legs together with kitchen string. Brush with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Step 3Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface large enough to fit over the chicken. Place over the chicken and seal around the edge. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour 45 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
- Step 4To serve, use a large sharp knife to break open the crust. Serve chicken with baby carrots and snow peas, if desired.
Braised whole chicken chilli verde
- 2 green bullhorn chillies*
- 2 poblano chillies
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Coles RSPCA Approved Australian Whole Extra Large Chicken (about 2.5kg), backbone removed with kitchen shears, flattened
- 1 cup (250ml) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 red onion, halved, cut into 1.5cm-thick wedges
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño or serrano chilli, thickly sliced (optional)
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander, divided
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- Step 1Preheat grill on high. Toss bullhorn and poblano chillies with 1 tbs oil on a baking tray. Grill, turning, for 10 mins until charred and tender. Cover. Set aside for 10 mins. Peel and seed. Cut into 2cm-wide strips. Preheat oven to 205°C (185°C fan-forced).
- Step 2Heat a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, mix 2 tbs of the oil with paprika, cumin, 2 tsp salt and 1½ tsp pepper. Rub over chicken.
- Step 3Place, skin-side down, in pan. Cook for 4 mins or until well browned. Transfer to a plate. Combine stock, chilli strips, onion, garlic, jalapeño or serrano chilli, if using, and ½ cup coriander in pan. Season. Add chicken, skin-side up.
- Step 4Braise for 1 hour or until chicken shows no sign of pink when pierced in thigh. Set aside for 10 mins to rest. Sprinkle with remaining coriander. Serve with lime wedges and tortillas.