casserole breakfast, looking for these recipes? check this for 3 best casserole breakfast: Asparagus, parmesan and ham strata,Asparagus and cheese strata,Egg en cocotte (oeuf en cocotte)
Egg en cocotte (oeuf en cocotte)
- 1 small brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 100g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices bread, toasted, buttered, to serve
- Step 1Combine the onion, oil, cumin and turmeric in a small, shallow, 250ml (1-cup) capacity microwave-safe ramekin. Cover loosely with paper towel and cook on High/800watts/100%, stirring every minute, for 2 minutes or until soft.
- Step 2Add the mushrooms and tomato and cook, uncovered, on High/800watts/100% for 3-4 minutes or until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Step 3Spread the mixture evenly over the base of the dish. Crack the egg on top and cover loosely with damp paper towel. Cook on Defrost or Medium-Low/350watts/30% for 5 minutes for a soft egg or until the egg is cooked to your liking. Season with salt and pepper and serve with thick buttered toast. l
Asparagus and cheese strata
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups (435ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 8 thick asparagus spears, woody ends trimmed, halved lengthways
- 8 thin slices prosciutto
- 100g fontina cheese (see note), coarsely grated
- 4 slices spelt and rye bread (see note), crusts removed
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease two individual 11cm x 18cm baking dishes, or 1 large dish. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and chives. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Step 2In each dish, layer 4 halved asparagus spears, 2 prosciutto slices and a quarter of the cheese. Top each dish with 2 bread slices, then pour over half the egg mixture and press bread in to soak it up. Top with remaining asparagus, prosciutto and egg, then scatter with remaining cheese. (Alternatively, layer all the ingredients in a single baking dish.) Stand for 30 minutes (or make up to 1 day in advance and refrigerate). Bake the strata for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden.
Asparagus, parmesan and ham strata
- Melted butter, to grease
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2cm lengths
- 200g baby spinach leaves, stems trimmed
- 12 thick slices white bread
- 60g (3/4 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 100g leg ham, finely chopped
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 300ml thin cream
- 185ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Crisp green salad, to serve (optional)
- Step 1Brush four 325ml ramekins or ovenproof dishes with the melted butter to lightly grease.
- Step 2Cook the asparagus in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 30 seconds or until tender crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl of iced water. Cool, drain and set aside.
- Step 3Return the water to the boil and add the spinach. Cook for 30 seconds or until it just wilts. Drain, allow to cool slightly and then use your hands to squeeze out the excess water.
- Step 4Use a plain 9cm cutter to cut discs from the bread. Place 1 disc in each greased dish. Top with 1/4 cup of parmesan, then half each of ham, asparagus and spinach. Repeat with another layer of bread, 1/4 cup of parmesan and remaining ham, asparagus and spinach.
- Step 5Whisk the eggs, cream, milk, mustard, salt and pepper in a jug. Pour two-thirds of the egg mixture into the dishes and then set aside for 15 minutes to soak. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 160°C.
- Step 6Gently push remaining bread into dishes. Pour remaining egg mixture over and sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until the centres are firm. Serve with salad.