vodka mixers, looking for these recipes? check this for 3 best vodka mixers: Introducing the espresso martini layer cake
Introducing the espresso martini layer cake
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups (550g) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250g sour cream
- 150g dark (70%) chocolate, melted, cooled
- 3 cups (450g) self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup (75g) cocoa
- 1 cup (250ml) Kahlua
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pure (thin) cream
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vodka
- 75g chocolate-coated coffee beans, chopped
- 1kg cream cheese, at room temperature
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee granules, dissolved in 1 tablespoon warm water
- 2 1/2 cups (300g) pure icing sugar
- Step 1Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line two 20cm springform cake pans with baking paper.
- Step 2Beat butter and 13/4 cups (385g) sugar in an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed until thick and pale. With the motor running, add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until combined. Reduce speed to medium-low, then add sour cream, chocolate and a pinch of salt.
- Step 3Combine flour and cocoa in a bowl, then beat one-quarter flour mixture into chocolate mixture, then one-quarter (60ml) Kahlua. Repeat, alternating between the flour mixture and Kahlua, beating constantly until combined.
- Step 4Divide batter between pans and bake on the same rack in the oven for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean (if both cakes do not fit on the same rack, then swap halfway through cooking time).
- Step 5Cool in pans for 10 minutes then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Step 6To make the caramel, combine the remaining 3/4 cup (165g) sugar and 2 tbs water in a small saucepan and place over medium heat
- Step 7Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes or until golden. Carefully add cream and a pinch of salt, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool completely.
- Step 8For the icing, beat cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer on high speed until combined, then reduce speed to medium and gradually add coffee and icing sugar, beating constantly until combined.
- Step 9Trim the tops of the cakes to level, then slice each cake in half horizontally so there are 4 cake layers. Brush each cake evenly with the vodka.
- Step 10To assemble, place one cake layer on a cake stand and spread with one-quarter icing. Repeat layering three more times, finishing with a final layer of icing.
- Step 11To serve, top with the coffee beans and drizzle over carame